It’s impossible to control all of our toxic exposure because toxins are everywhere. We can’t get too obsessed with avoiding toxins since they are even in the air we breathe. What we can do is do our best to limit them. Toxins are in our food, our water, our air, our grass, and our products. What we can control are the choices we make in choosing food with the least amount of toxins (such as organic) and products that are all natural. Thankfully our bodies are super smart and have built in detox systems. Our bodies excrete toxins everyday through our lymphatic system, in our stool, urine, and sweat. Making sure these pathways are functioning properly is key in our ability to excrete toxins.
There are a lot of fancy and expensive ways to decrease our toxic load if we have the means to do so. You can use infrared saunas, heavy metal binders, EMF mitigators, light therapy units, pr air purifiers. These are all great and viable options that can greatly help eliminate toxins, but they are not always accessible or cost effective.
Luckily, there are some very easy and totally FREE options for detoxing our bodies that we can do to ensure toxins leave our systems as best they can.
The 9 things I make sure I do everyday:
1) Sweat once a day (get that heart rate up!)
2) Drink lots of water to increase urination and pass stools (using a large water bottle and knowing how many times you fill it up daily can help to get enough water in). Bonus points if you drink a glass of water with lemon in it first thing in the morning (but we know this is not a free option!)
3) Move the lymph in your lymphatic system through dry brushing, running, skipping, or jumping (one of my favourite ways is to jump with my kids on the trampoline!)
4) Have one healthy bowel movement daily
5) 15 minutes of sun on the skin daily to help regulate cellular and metabolic processes (The Huberman Lab recommends getting this within the first 60 minutes of waking. Check out more about The Huberman Lab at https://hubermanlab.com
6) Eat as much whole, unprocessed food as possible
7) Eliminate toxic relationships and extra stressors. Say no if it’s too much!
8) Ground on the Earth daily. Walk barefoot, touch a tree or garden without gloves (helps with inflammation also). For more information on the science behind grounding check out Dr. Laura Koniver at https://intuition-physician.com/about/
9) 10 minutes of deep breathing and meditation daily can help to cleanse the blood and put your body into a relaxed state so that it can do the work of elimination. I personally use the Insight Timer app on my phone and love it.